The USF Task Force on Diversity, Inclusion, Social Justice, Civic Engagement and Advocacy will be holding Diversity Discussion Forums over the next two weeks. Hear from the task force formed at USF to help voices be heard on issues of diversity, inclusion and equal access to opportunity. Read USF’s statement on diversity.
Students can RSVP for the upcoming diversity forum here at this link. There are only 15 spots open for each discussion. Atendees are expected to wear masks and adhere to social distancing, consistent with current University policy aimed at mitigating risk for transmission of COVID-19. If all the slots are filled for a particular session, USF plans to offer additional opportunities in the future.
1. Monday, October 19, 3:30-5:00pm, Jorden Room 319
· Topic: “Beacons of Hope.” Sharing (and inviting participants to share about) individuals – either from personal experience or history – who have risen from socioeconomic or other struggles, and achieved great things.
· Facilitators: Dr. Kevin Cole and Dr. George Mwangi
2. Thursday, October 22, 6:00-7:30pm, Jorden Room 319
· Topic: “Inclusion”
· Facilitators: Jackie Martinez and Mercy Oyadare
3. Monday, October 26, 7:00-8:30pm, Jorden Room 319
· Topic: “I don’t see color.” A discussion about how people do not recognize how varied experiences can be, based on their color, and what some of those experiences could be.
· Facilitators: Prof. Beth O’Toole, Mercy Oyadare, Apolonia Davalos, Allan Idjao
4. Thursday, October 29, 7:00-8:30pm, Jorden Room 319
· Topic: “What does it mean that all of us are made in the image of God?”
· Facilitators: Dr. Jenny Bangsund and Martha Negash
Hear the task force talk about their work in this video –